The Senior Schooling Department at Gladstone State High School strives to assist students to access and maintain productive partnerships leading to successful futures. Mr Brendan Hooley is the Head of School - Senior at Gladstone SHS and along with the Senior Schooling Teacher Aide Mrs Lorraine Winyard are always available to have a general chat with students about options in the Senior Phase of Learning and can provide specific information or contacts with outside agencies such as Education Queensland Industry Partnerships (EQIP) Programs, CQ University, and many more.
Senior School Initiatives
- Vocational Education and Training (VET) throughout the school
- Work experience and structured work placement through Education Queensland Industry
- Learning Enhancement Subject Tutorials
- Leaving School Programs
- Career Pathways Program
- EQIP Engineering Skills Centre at NRG Power Station. (For students commencing Year 11 only – 18 month
- EQIP Business and Industry and Tourism Skills Centre (EBITS) at Boyne Smelters.
- EQIP Doorways to Civil Construction (ED2CC) Program at McCosker Contracting. (for students commencing year 10)
- EQIP Technical College Gladstone Region (ETCGR) Campus of Gladstone SHS.
- EQIP Process Plant Operations (EPMA) at CQUniversity– Gladstone Campus (for students commencing year 11 or 12)
- PREQIP Program (For Indigenous and Torres Strait Islander
students commencing year 10 only)
More information on EQIP Programs
is available on their website.
How the Senior School department supports students, other departments and whole school learning
Starting with the Year 10 Career Pathways program, students quickly identify their strengths/weaknesses, likes/dislikes and investigate the wide variety of education and training opportunities that are available here in Gladstone. From engineering programs such as EQIP Engineering Skills Centre at the NRG power station, to academic programs such as those studied at CQ University Start University Now (SUN) Program and the EQIP Technical College Gladstone Region.
Work experience and structured work placement complements the learning and training students receive in their school subjects at Gladstone SHS as well as developing employability skills that see our students compete extremely well for highly sought after positions within the Gladstone community and beyond.